Friday, August 23, 2013

An 80th Birthday Present

Drew this on 18" x 24" paper and had it framed.
I can finally write about this on my blog! I was waiting until my Grandad received it before posting about it because there are plenty of family members in the blogger-verse and since it's a drawing of Granni. Unfortunately, in May she passed away in her sleep. The only thing that can really attribute her death may be her heart. We'll never really know.

Granni is one of the main reasons that I'm good at making things. I suppose it passed through the generations down to me and a few other family members. I was blessed enough to get some of the artistic side through her and my father. Dad and I seem to be the only ones to get the drawing capabilities from her. I'm grateful for it. I ended up getting my minor in Visual Arts. Granni loved to make things for her family. I have a baby blanket and two things painted by her. A lot of the younger grandchildren received quilts and she continued to do this until she passed away. They were a few unfinished quilts in her craft room waiting to be finished at the time. She loved to be with her family.

So when the time came to make a present for Grandad for his 80th birthday, only one idea came to mind: draw a picture of Granni. I was nervous to start on it because it had been three years since I had done a proper portrait drawing, but it felt like the right thing to do. And using graphite also had be a bit worried but I didn't want to use charcoal because of the mess it makes. Honestly, I think Granni was helping me draw this. It's one of the best likenesses that I've done. I think she knew that Grandad would appreciate it.

Close-up of drawing.
Sorry for the bad photos. I feared taking it outside would have a huge glare on the glass. <3 p="">
Finally got Gimp on the computer. Here are the photos, lighter.

1 comment:

JiJi said...

Grandad loves it! I'll send you a pict soon to show where it's hung. :)