Monday, June 17, 2013

Man of Steel

Man of Steel
PG-13 -- IMDB -- 143 min.

I have to be honest I wasn't sure that I wanted to see another Superman movie. I was recently re-introduced to the first and second ones and I thought they were hilarious. I realize that things are made for their time, but so were other classic movies and they weren't that cheesy. ;) I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to say that I liked this retelling of the classic story. We all know it. Krypton is going to fail and Kal'El is sent to Earth to survive. I like how everything was presented in this version. Everything was more believable, especially in a modern world. Lois was more believable than the original.

There was a lot of CGI. And I mean A LOT. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty to watch. It was done beautifully. It's just... there was a lot of it. After some time you get bored of seeing so much fake stuff. And I'm not just talking about the flying around scenes; that's understandable. It would have been nice to see sets that were mostly hand-made and not 90% CGI.

When the movie started, I wondered how well General Zod's story-line would be integrated into the movie. This all seemed to work for me except for the fact when he and his followers were exiled in the the Phantom Zone, they were given a ship. Who in the world gives criminals something that can help them? I realize that it takes a lot for them to be free from the Phantom Zone but why arm them with something that can help their devious desires?

**There may be spoilers in this part.**
Also with Zod, he's planning on a global genocide. Things are going to get ugly and they got ugly. There was a lot of destruction. Be warned. There's a lot of smashing, death, and scared people. When you've got genocide as a plot point, this is going to happen. Then there's the fact that two super-strong aliens are battling it out there will be destruction. Just know that there's going to be a lot of it.

Even though there are points that I wasn't too fond of there is a lot of fun in the movie. It's a nice re-telling of an old classic. Go see it. ;)

No comments: