Friday, April 12, 2013

Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility
Jane Austen

Oh, Romantic Period. How I love your writing. I'm glad that I was forced to read Pride and Prejudice a couple years ago. I was introduced to the fun of the middle-class courtship scene. Funny, witty, and dramatic. Without that book I wouldn't have picked up this one.

Sense and Sensibility is a lot of fun to read. The differences in Elinor and Marianne are fantastic. I loved reading the two different thought processes of the time. Elinor is the one who thinks everything through while Marianne is vivacious and extravagant in her feelings for everything around her. Marianne would see the woods as something to be admired with great gusto while Elinor would see the woods as a place to get timber.

The story was a lot of fun to get through. I had some ideas of what to expect since I have seen a few scenes from one of the film adaptations. (Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet are in it.) What I really didn't know is how exactly everything happened. I thought that it was very entertaining. All would seem lost to both women at some point but then everything works out. The only reason I'm not giving this book a five star is because the ending seems a little off to me. Mostly in the part of how Elinor and Edward's situation ends like. Edwards sure seems to get nothing in comparison with his sneaky brother. I wish that it worked out better for them, but I suppose that not all ending are one-hundred percent happy.

If you like Jane Austen or anything from the Romantic Period, give this a shot. It's a ton of fun.

No comments: