Thursday, August 2, 2012

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Inheritance
Christopher Paolini
Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.
Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.
The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaësia? And if so, at what cost?
This is the much-anticipated, astonishing conclusion to the worldwide bestselling Inheritance cycle that the world has waited for.
 Ah, finally finished it. It took some time but I finally finished it. I blame school and other things for not finishing it faster. I'm so glad that the series has come to an end. It's nice to see how the characters have developed throughout the four books. And have they developed.

That's the first thing that comes to my mind with this series: There is character development. This doesn't happen all of time, I find. I wish that it did. It was so fun to see Eragon and Saphira become the adults that they ended up being. Even with Roran. I liked seeing this differences between Eragon and his cousin because they are so similar; but one has a dragon and the other doesn't. It's cool to see how they both changed because of what was given to them.

I also liked the descriptions that Paolini gave the reader. I could see what Alagaesia was supposed to look like, especially in new places that we hadn't been to before. However--and this leads me into the not so good--Paolini went WAY too long in most cases. And this goes for his writing in general, descriptions or thoughts. This is the main reason that it took me so long to read. There were times where I said to myself, "Can we move on already?" Paolini could have been more concise. Some of the sentences were the same thing written the same way.

Another thing that I didn't like so much is that there are times that Paolini breaks the point-of-view. This is a big No-No. One case that stays with me is when the reader is in Saphira's mind but the next sentence--and only for this sentence--Paolini writes Thorn's feelings. There is no indication at the moment that they are talking through their minds, so how would Saphira know this? She wouldn't. Plain and simple. This happened a couple other of times as well.

Going back to the positive, I did like where the story went; and I liked the surprises along the way. It was interesting to see how everything was resolved. I felt like everything was resolved, although the resolution with the Menoa tree was almost a cop-out. But I'll let whoever wants to read this decide that for themselves.

If you want an entertaining, fast, and lovable characters to attach to; then give The Inheritance Cycle a chance. You'll have fun along the way.


No comments: