Monday, June 4, 2012

Snow White & the Huntsman

Snow White & the Huntsman
IMDB -- 127 min -- PG-13
**Possible Spoilers.

We had an impromptu movie viewing on Saturday since my father wanted to do something other than wedding stuff for my brother. He decided that it would be fun to see Snow White & the Huntsman. I was fairly interested but I wasn't sure what to expect.

I'm at odds with this movie. I thought that Charlize Theron (Ravenna), Chris Hemsworth (the Huntsman), and Kristen Stewart (Snow White) did a good job. Charlize Theron was superb and convincing in her role as the Evil Queen. I also liked Christ Hemsworth as the Huntsman, and he seemed like a perfect fit. Kristen Stewart was good and showed a lot more emotion than other roles I have seen her play. She did have her mouth open during a lot of the movie, though. Her front teeth may be a bit big... Anyway, they did make her appear very beautiful in quite a few scenes; which is nice, considering Ravenna wants to kill her for that. I had a hard time believing more and more into the relationship of Snow White and the Huntsman. (And that's something, too. He doesn't have a name. I wish he had one. It's hard to connect with the character.) There was some development between the two, just not enough in my opinion. Maybe I'm the only one who thought so.

There was something off about how certain scenes were done. I do like that the movie played back to how the Grimm Tales told their fairy-tales. They are dark and yet childish in their simplicity. However, Snow White & the Huntsman almost seemed like it was dark for dark's sake. Does that make sense? I do get why the movie-makers chose that direction, but there should have been a contrast with that at the end.

This movie has a couple of holes. Such as: Why wouldn't Ravenna keep draining fair girls to keep up her strength against Snow White THROUGHOUT the movie? My parents thought of other questions, but I can't remember them at the moment. The end left me wanting more; and not in the good way. I wanted to see how things were better and different. I was left with an ending scene that took way too long.

The cinematography of the movie was done beautifully as was all of the CGI. It really added to scenes.

As I said, I'm at odds with this movie. With that in mind this is my rating out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

I liked the movie well enough. There were questions that I had about why did some of the things they did. But, my main beef that brings the stars down for me is that Kristen just seemed awkward most of the time. I do think it's the best role I've ever seen her in, but she's just so awkward all the time. And, in my opinion, there isn't a world where she could EVER be more beautiful than Charlize Theron. Just sayin'.

Megan said...

I agree. I just said that they made her look beautiful not that she was actually more so than Charlize Theron. If they had said that she could surpass her someday, then I might be more lenient, but they didn't.